Family Caregivers of BC hosts a number of caregiver support groups to support you, as a caregiver. If you are unfamiliar with support groups, this article on “The Value of Peer Support” offers an introduction.
The most important element of any support group is to create a safe and confidential space. In a support group, Shared Understandings (also known as ‘ground rules’ or ‘group guidelines’) create this safe and confidential space for caregivers in group meetings.
Research shows that when family caregivers participate in peer support, their health improves, and feelings of isolation and depression decrease.
As with all of Family Caregivers services, the support groups and activities are free of charge for caregivers.
Learn more through our FCBC online calendar and register today!
Care Aware: BC’s Virtual Thematic Caregiver Support Group
- When: 3rd Wednesday of each month from 1:30-3:00 pm PT (starting Sep 21, 2022) This monthly, thematic peer support group includes scheduled topics for each session. This is a closed group of six support sessions.
- Upcoming themes include: Caregiver Well-Being: Maintaining the Balance · The Emotional Side of Caregiving · Isolation: Creating a Network of Support · When the Person You are Caring for Resists Help · Coping with and Managing Transitions
Working Caregivers Connect: Virtual Support Group
- When: 4th Tuesday of each month from 7:00pm- 8:30pm (starting Sep 27, 2022)
- We invite working caregivers to attend our new monthly peer support group.
- This support group will be held in the evening to accommodate the requests we have received from working caregivers.
Virtual Support Groups
Caregivers Connect: BC’s Virtual Caregiver Café
- When: 2nd Thursday of each month from 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. PT
- This monthly peer support group brings people from across the province together around a shared experience of caregiving for a family member or friend
BC Men’s Virtual Caregiver Support Group
- When: 4th Wednesday of each month from 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. PT
- This Virtual Caregiver Support Group is a space for men to come together to connect, receive support and share experiences as caregivers.
Victoria Virtual Caregiver Support Group
- When: 1st Wednesday of each month from 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. PT
- Our monthly Victoria Virtual Caregiver Support Group brings caregivers from Greater Victoria area together for peer support
In-Person Support Groups
Greater Victoria Support Group at Yakimovich Wellness Centre
- When: Second Monday of each month from 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. PT
- Location: Yakimovich Wellness Centre in Victoria
Saanich Peninsula Caregiver Support Group at SHOAL
- When: Last Wednesday of each month from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. PT
- Location: SHOAL Centre, 10030 Resthaven Drive, Sidney BC
In-Person Art Therapy Group for Caregivers: Fall/Winter Session
- When: Our fall/winter classes take place on Sept. 14, Oct. 12, Nov. 9, and Dec. 14 from 1:30-3:00 pm PT at the Shambhala Meditation Centre in Victoria, BC.
- Research shows that the process of art-making can help to overcome personal challenges, be a valuable tool while managing stress, help in the healing process, foster self-worth, and be a way of connecting with others.
- We invite you to join the fall/winter session of Art Therapy Group for Caregivers.