[Resource] Vegetarian Diets as we age
In this 2-minute video, Dr. Megha Poddar discusses important considerations for older adults on plant-based diets or for those considering adopting a vegetarian diet.
What's the bottom line?
- Older adults can safely adopt a plant-based diet.
- Ensure adequate protein intake to maintain lean muscle mass.
- Be sure your fibre intake is sufficient and comes from whole fruit and vegetable sources.
- Evaluate your vitamin D and calcium intake. If you think it might not be enough, ask your doctor about supplementation.
- Plant-based diets tend to have less vitamin B12, which can also decrease with aging. Consider having your vitamin B12 levels checked, and supplemented if recommended by your doctor.
Vegetarian Diets as We Age
Dr. Megha Poddar
Jul 26, 2023
- General Health and Wellness
- Food & Nutritional Support
- Caregivers, Seniors & Volunteers
- Service Providers (Non-profits, Community Organizations, Local government)
- Research & Evidence