5 Days in May: Harm Reduction for Hardly-Reached People and Places
B.C.'s health research month is designed to educate, inform, inspire and stimulate. Every year, Island Health collaborates with partner organizations to bring together researchers and students, patients and healthcare providers, decision-makers and members of the public to learn, share ideas and spark innovation. Our events are open to all.
Five Days in May 2023
2023 marks the 11th year of Five Days in May, and is a collaboration between Fraser Health, Interior Health, Island Health, and Northern Health, in partnership with the BC Network Environment for Indigenous Health Research (BC NEIHR).
Join us online every Tuesday to learn how research is transforming health and care across the province!
- All events will take place online via Zoom.
- All are free and open to everyone.
- Registration is required. Please register using the links below.
May 30th, Harm Reduction
Harm Reduction for Hardly-Reached People and Places
Tuesday, May 30 | 12 - 2 p.m. PST
- Substance Drug Checking: Expanding Access across Vancouver Island through a Distributed Model (Taylor Teal, Training Developer & Facilitator, Vancouver Island Drug Checking Project)
- Substance Use Patterns Among International Students from Punjab Living in BC’s Lower Mainland (Nitasha Puri, MD CCFP(AM) dipl.ABAM FASAM, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Family Practice, UBC; Medical Lead, Roshni Clinic; Addiction Medicine and Substance Use Services, Fraser Health; Gurkirat Singh Nijjar, UBC Undergraduate Student, Founder Team SOUDA)
- Accessing Tablet injectable Opioid Agonist Therapy in Rural and Smaller Urban Settings in BC: Policy & Practice Implications (Geoff Bardwell, PhD; Assistant Professor School of Public Health Sciences, University of Waterloo; Research Scientist, BC Centre on Substance Use)
Closing Forum: Reflections and Future Perspectives
Tuesday, May 30 | 2:30 - 4 p.m. PST
Join us to reflect on what we've heard and learned throughout the month, and be part of the conversation about the future of health research in BC.
- Moderator: Bev Holmes (PhD, C. Dir.), President and CEO of Michael Smith Health Research BC
- Thematic summaries of each event from the day's moderators
- Health research opportunities with REACH BC (Stefanie Cheah, Manager)
This event has passed.
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM